On the river side of Whitehall, the ground floor, roughly parallel to the river. Above it was the Matted Gallery.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 51.503868, -0.124712
The Stone Gallery was a long passage between the Privy Garden and the river. It led from the Bowling Green to the Court of the Palace.
This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.
JWB • Link
" Prince Rupert had rooms in the Stone Gallery, which ran along the south side of Privy Gardens, beyond the main buildings of the palace, and beneath him were the apartments of the king’s mistresses, Barbara Palmer, Countess of Castlemaine..."
"WHITEHALL ", AUGUSTUS J.C. HARE
in Aqua Scripto's link shows The Stone Gallery where JWB has indicated http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/whitehall-pala…
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.