Built in 1350, the church still stands today.
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from Wenceslaus Hollar’s maps:
Open location in Google Maps: 52.202494, 0.118125
St Botolph's (Cambridge)
The Church is dedicated to St Botolph, a seventh century abbot in East Anglia, who is the patron saint of travellers. The most famous place named after him is Boston in Lincolnshire – “Botolph’s Town” – a place which gave its name to Boston in Massachusetts.
The church was by the south gate of medieval Cambridge, through which travellers from London entered the town. It was also the first church reached by travellers from the west who crossed the Cam where Silver Street Bridge now stands.
Norman and Saxon churches stood on the site prior to the existing church, which was built in 1350. The tower, which is crowned with carved symbols of the four Evangelists, was added in the next century. The four bells were cast in 1460. At the same time, the carved Rood Screen was added. This is now the only medieval Rood Screen remaining in the ancient parish churches of Cambridge. On it are painted panels depicting the angel announcing to Mary that she is to bear the child Jesus. These paintings date from the late 19th Century.
The font has a beautiful wooden cover and case that date from the time of Archbishop Laud (1637). The pulpit is over 300 years old; the lectern was made and given to the church in 1875 and the pews for the congregation in the nave were installed in the late 19th Century.
Queens' College have been the patron of the living since the 15th Century. [more and photos] http://www.stbotolphs.net/history.htm
The ancient chime of four bells at St Botolph's Church, Cambridge ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS51aVCG064
Botolph's Church, Cambridge is a Church of England parish church in the city of Cambridge, England. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Botolph%27s_Chur…
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.