Apologies for the lack of new diary entries — I haven’t been any busier than usual, but what with one thing and another I completely forgot to enter another week’s worth of entries this week and the supply has run dry! I’ll catch up later today or tomorrow.
In a moment I’ll be switching off the ability to post annotations. I’m about to move this (and my other sites) to a new server and I need to switch off annotations to make sure nothing’s lost in the process. When everything is working on the new server I’ll post a message there. Because it can take a while for the news of a site moving to work its way around the internet, it could be hours or days until you can see the new server. Hopefully it won’t be too long!
You’ll be pleased to know that the Recent Annotations page is back. It used to be re-built every time an annotation was posted, which might have been one of several factors contributing to the Internal Server Errors. The page is now built whenever the page is viewed which will take some load off Movable Type’s comment-handling script (actually, the page is never built more than once every two minutes, so it may occasionally lag a minute or two behind).
I think it’s working correctly, but let me know if you notice anything particularly odd. Also, if there’s anything about the page that could be improved, so it’s a better quick overview of all that’s happening on the site, do post below or to the new discussion group.
I’ve spent the evening trying to work out why “Internal Server Errors” are generated so often when annotations are posted. I’ve tried simplifying the templates Movable Type uses to generate the site’s pages, to the point of reverting to the software’s default, very simple, templates. Although I saw some improvement I was still seeing errors around 10-20% of the time.
I’m about to start work on the site, to find out the cause of the “Internal Server Errors”. The appearance will change dramatically and test comments will be posted. I’ll post again when I’ve finished.
Early on Thursday evening, UK time, I’ll be doing some work on the site to try and find what’s causing the relentless “Internal Server Errors.” This means that the look of the site will change drastically, as I try out some simpler templates, and there will be a lot of test annotations appearing from me.
I’ll post a message on the front page when I begin work, and again when I’ve finished. Hopefully with some positive results…
Everyone on the SmartGroups discussion group should have been notified already, but for everyone else… The Discussion Group is moving to Yahoo! Groups because SmartGroups seems to be increasingly unreliable — messages often arrive days after they’ve been sent. So if you want to join the new group, you can sign up here.
A couple of months back I said that the references in the Encyclopedia — which link back to the diary entries on which a person, place, etc was mentioned — were no longer updating. I’ve just finished some work that means these should now be complete and up to date at last! It’ll be a couple more days before I get round to making this happen automatically for new diary entries, but by next week everything should up to date on a daily basis. As ever, let me know if you spot anything that’s broken.
If it’s not one thing it’s another… All the Encyclopedia pages have a section at the bottom that shows when that person, building, or whatever is mentioned in the diary. These links are generated automatically by Movable Type’s TrackBack facility. It’s been a bit flaky at times but has mostly worked.
Thanks for being patient over the last few days of nastily unreadable annotations. I’ve finally found the problem and everything should be working fine (well, as fine as it was last week, anyway). I’d changed a setting in Movable Type without realising what other effects it might have. If you want to know more about the cause read on here.
You’ve probably noticed that annotations are looking rather odd at the moment — the text is too large and there are no paragraph breaks. I’m not sure what’s up — Movable Type isn’t formatting them correctly all of a sudden — and for the moment I’m stumped.
If you post annotations on the site you may well have found you get error messages when trying to do so. It’s happened to me a few times and I don’t post nearly as much as many of you, so I can only apologise for your frustrations!
You may have noticed that some punctuation characters in annotations are appearing strangely on the site recently. This happened since I upgraded Movable Type, the software used to run most of the site.