Map

The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:

1893 text

Sion House, granted by Edward VI. to his uncle, the Duke of Somerset. After his execution, 1552, it was forfeited, and given to John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. The duke being beheaded in 1553, it reverted to the Crown, and was granted in 1604 to Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland. It still belongs to the Duke of Northumberland.


This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.

4 Annotations

Terry Foreman  •  Link

The pre-history of the physical foundations of "Sion House reaches back to the Syon Monastery of the Order of St Augustine [which] was founded by Henry V in 1414 and built on ground in his manor of Isleworth Syon, on the boundary of the parish of Twickenham. It was one of three which Henry's father, Henry IV had undertaken to build in expiation for his connivance with the murder of Richard II and Archbishop Scrope." Read more: http://www.twickenham-museum.org.uk/detail.asp?...

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.

References

Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.

1665