1 Annotation

JWB   Link to this

Blackheath and neighborhoood:
"Here, as we have already had occasion to remark, the main body of the Danish army lay encamped in the reign of Ethelred, while their ships held possession of the river for three or four years in succession. Several places in the neighbourhood are still called "Coombs" and "Comps" East Coombe and West Coombe, two estates on the borders of the heath, are presumed to trace their names from the encampments of the Danes at this place-coomb as well as comp signifying camp; coomb being probably the Saxon term, and comp the Danish or corrupt Saxon, both of which tongues were then in use. The manors of East and West Coombe are situated at the north-east corner of the heath; and there was formerly one called Middle Coombe, otherwise Spittle Coombe, which in all [p. 225] probability, was attached to that of West Coombe. Vestiges of intrenchments were, some years ago, distinctly traced in different parts of the heath, some formed doubtless by the Danes, ..."

Walter Thornbury," Old and New London: A Narrative of its History, its People and its Places."

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=...

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.

References

  • 1665