Tony • Link
Sir William Hooker was born in 1612, the son of William Hooker of Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire.
(From records of Guildhall Public Library)
He was married to Lettice Coppinger, daughter of Francis Coppinger, at the church of St Margaret Lothbury in 1640
Sir William Hooker was Alderman of Wallbrook Ward 24th Jun 1664, nominated by Alderman Sir J Lawrence and Sir T Bludworth and Thomas Bonfoy. He remained in this position until 6th June 1666. He removed to Cornhill Ward 16th June 1668. Retired at Birchin Lane.
He was knighted on 1st February 1666.
He was to become Lord Mayor of London in 1673 until 1674
He was President of the Guild of Master Grocers from 1679-1680, and President of St Thomas' Hospital 1683 – 1688.
Information is also provided through St Alfege Church, Greenwich, records. They state that Sir William Hooker come to Greenwich from London in 1665 to escape the plague.
The house he bought at Greenwich had been one of the chief properties of St Peter's Abbey at Ghent. It was The Grange, in Crooms Hill, and he lived there in considerable style with his wife, son and three daughters.
He was buried in his vault at St Alfage and a handsome monument was placed in the south aisle, of white marble surmounted by a figure dressed in alderman's robes. His portrait shows him wearing the robes and chain of office of a Lord Mayor of London. This was destroyed during a WWII air raid.
He lived at The Grange, Crooms Hill, until his death in 1697, after which, his son, William (junior) continued residence until 1713.