This text was copied from Wikipedia on 1 December 2015 at 3:23PM.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
It is also the name of two electoral wards (West Chesterton and East Chesterton) in the city. These are roughly the same as the area normally called Chesterton: specifically the land north of the River Cam, east of Castle Hill and south of the Arbury and King's Hedges estates.
A large housing association estate makes up part of the East Chesterton area.
A local board of health (urban sanitary district) was formed for Chesterton in 1880, becoming Chesterton urban district under the Local Government Act 1894. This was abolished in 1912, with the urban area becoming part of the municipal borough of Cambridge, and the larger but less populous rural part forming part of the Milton parish.
Recently it was announced that a new railway station is to be built on the edge of East Chesterton, to be operational by May 2016, something that had been campaigned for by numerous local politicians for decades.
- 100 Houses Assn, Accessed 6 October 2014