Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The Royal Stables near Charing Cross.
The Royal Mewse (sic) are off the NW of Charing Cross on the 1746 map. http://www.motco.com/map/81002/SeriesSearchPlat...
The Mews stood on the site of the present National Gallery. The place was originally occupied by the king's falcons, but in the reign of Henry VIII. it was turned into a stable. After the battle of Naseby it was used as a prison for a time. The Mews was rebuilt in 1732, and taken down in 1830.---Wheatley, 1899.
Mews, the stables for the King's horses near Charing Cross, is a place of considerable antiquity, and is thus denominated from Mew, a term used among falconers, signifying to moult or cast feathers; for this place was used for the accommodation of the King's falconers and hawks, so early as the year 1377; but the King's stables at Lomesbury, since called Bloomsbury, being destroyed by fire in the year 1537, King Henry VIII. caused the hawks to be removed, and the Mews enlarged and fitted up for the reception of his Majesty's horses, where they have been kept ever since: the building going to decay, the north side was rebuilt in a magnificent manner by his present Majesty, in the year 1732.---London and Its Environs Described. R. Dodsley, 1761.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map