Pedro • Link
Newhall and Picture...
New Hall in 1669 from Count L. Magalotti, Travels of Cosmo the Third, Grand Duke of Tuscany, through England during the Reign of King Charles the Second 1669 (1821).
New Hall was built at Boreham, Chelmsford, Essex by Henry VIII from 1517 to 1521. Queen Elizabeth granted it in 1573 to Thomas Radcliffe, 3rd Earl of Sussex, who probably largely rebuilt the north wing. The house was later owned by George Villiers, duke of Buckingham, and Oliver Cromwell. At the Restoration in 1660 it came into the possession of George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, whose home it was at the time of this view. In 1737 it was sold to John Olmius, MP for Weymouth and later Baron Waltham of Philipstown, who demolished all but the north wing, which is now The Priory of the Resurrection - a convent and school.