The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:


This text was copied from Wikipedia on 22 November 2015 at 3:22PM.

The western end of Lothbury pictured in 2012.

Lothbury is a short street in the City of London.

It runs east-west with traffic flow in both directions, from Gresham Street's junction with Moorgate to the west, and Bartholomew Lane's junction with Throgmorton Street to the east. The area was populated with coppersmiths in the Middle Ages before later becoming home to a number of merchants and bankers. Lothbury borders the Bank of England on the building's northern side, and some of Sir John Soane's work dating from 1788 can still be seen there today. Opposite the Bank is the Christopher Wren church St Margaret Lothbury.

41 Lothbury is a particularly noteworthy office building, with its interior columns, marble walls and floor, and was for many years the head office of National Westminster Bank.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the Great Northern & City Railway planned an underground railway station at Lothbury, but this was abandoned because of financial constraints. Today the nearest London Underground station is Bank, a short way to the south. The nearest mainline railway station is Liverpool Street, with National Rail services towards East Anglia.

Having retired as Governor of the Bank of England, Mervyn King was made a life peer and now has the title Baron King of Lothbury.

Coordinates: 51°30′53″N 0°5′22″W / 51.51472°N 0.08944°W / 51.51472; -0.08944

1 Annotation

in Aqua Scripto  •  Link

map of 1749

Lothbury street - go north on old Jury from Poultry / Cheapside then rt to Lothbury . [ North of Poultry] Runs from Old Jury into Throgmorton to Pigstreet/Broad street, back of grocers hall

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.