3 Annotations

Pedro  •  Link

Custom House.

From L&M, up to being destroyed in the Fire…

In 1660 this stood on the s. side of what is now Lower Thames Street, a little to the w. of the Tower and opposite the s. ends of Water and Bear Lanes, its wharf separating it from the river bank. An Elizabethan building…

in Aqua Scripto  •  Link

It be two furlongs from Office to the Customs House, not far enough to get winded.
Down Seething Lane across Tower Street to Beer lane,down the lane across the street again into the Building other wise if thy want to get a toe wet goto Porters Key and and thee can get a wherry to go down river at Customs House Keys or look around for some dropped items,spice from the Indies.
The Customs House Key be a stones throw from the Tower and the Tower dock and Tower Stairs:
For those that wish to take a gander: http://www.motco.com/map/81002/SeriesSearchPlat...

Bill  •  Link

The first Custom House of which we have any account was "new built" by John Churchman, Sheriff of London in 1385, and stood on "Customers'-key" to the east of the present building, and therefore much nearer Tower Wharf. In Strype's Map the site of the present building is taken up by a series of small quays, called respectively (commencing at the east) Porters, Great Bear, Little Bear, Young's, Wiggin's, Ralph's, Temple, Little Dice, Great Dice, and Smart's. Another and larger edifice on the same site, erected in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, was burnt in the Great Fire of 1666, The new house designed by Wren in its place was a "commodious and substantial building of brick and Portland stone" -Elmes. It was completed in 1671.
---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.