Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
Apparently also known as the Pageant, and located in the Strand. When Charles II ceremonially rode through London on his return in 1661, a series of triumphal arches were especially erected for the occasion, some of which appear to have survived for several years.
The Triumph or Pageant was directly opposite one of these arches, hence the names.
Triumph/Pageant Tavern (Book of Days)...
April 22, 1661, Charles II made a formal procession from the Tower to Westminster, as a preliminary to his coronation, which was effected next day. The arches raised on this occasion were allowed to remain for a year, and the whole affair was commemorated by a new tavern at Charing-cross, taking to itself the name of the Pageant Tavern—alternately the Triumph Tavern —and on whose token money a specimen of the arches was given, as appears from the accompanying representation of one of the pieces. Pepys notes a visit he made to the Triumph Tavern in May 1662, in company with Captain Ferrars, to have a sly peep at the Portuguese maids of honour who had accompanied the queen, Catherine of Braganza, to England, and who do not seem to have pleased the worthy diarist, as he styles them 'sufficiently unagreeable.'
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map