Ruben • Link
Spital Square was laid out in the 1720s and 30s on the site of the earlier Spital Yard. That in turn stood on the site of the Augustinian Priory and Hospital (hence the abbreviated name "Spital"). The hospital had been the first major building on the existing farmland, and was founded in 1197.
Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries signed its death warrant in 1539, and the area subsequently housed a mansion called Spittle House, on the site of the present St Botolph's Hall.
Spital Square was built to house a wealthy Huguenot silk weaver. The first owner was the man who built it - Peter Ogier III, the scion of a rich French Huguenot family. As a boy Peter was smuggled from France as a religious refugee. His family settled in Spitalfields and prospered as a silk merchant. In 1740…Peter made the decision to build a substantial home.
Beneath that home lay the remnants of the old Augustinian hospital. The south transept of the Priory Church lies beneath what is now number 37. The basement of the house also includes a stone corbel, probably from the Priory, and the foundations are made from re-used medieval stonework.
A century later, an 1842 account mentions that "a large proportion of houses in the square are inhabited by silk manufacturers".
By the latter half of the last century…number 37 was the only Georgian house left of the old Spital Square.
for more info see: