This college was originally a convent of Benedictine nuns, founded in honour the blessed virgin Mary, and St. Rhadegund, and endowed with the lands adjoining by Malcolm IV. King of the Scots, and Earl of Huntingdon and Cambridge; which nunnery, falling at last into great decay, was, by licence of King Henry VII. dissolved, and a college built instead thereof (1496, 12 Henry 7) by John Alcock, Bishop of Ely, for the maintenance of a master, six fellows, and six scholars, to be stiled, The College of the blessed Virgin St. Mary, St. John the Evangelist, and the Virgin St. Rhadegund, and commonly called Jesus College, from the conventual church (now the chapel,) dedicated at first to the name of Jesus.
---Cantabrigia Depicta. 1763.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.