4 Annotations

Ken Oliver  •  Link

In Rose Crescent, near Trinity. The site is now occupied by a McDonalds.

Terry Foreman  •  Link

The Rose in Cambridge was also an inn: Pepys and his party traveling from London to Brampton slept there in inclement weather the night of 23 May 1668.

Terry Foreman  •  Link

Rose (Cambridge)

According to L&M the Rose fronted on Market Hill, had its carriage entrance in Trinity St. and was next door to the Angel. It ceased to ne an inn c. 1814. Nothing remains of its buildings, but the modern Rose Crescent marks the site of its yard and approaches. J.W.Clark and A. Gray, Old Plans...of Cambridge, pl. vi; R. Comm. Hist. Mon. City of Cambridge, ii. 330. (L&M)

Terry Foreman  •  Link

Market Hill (aka the Market Square) is the location of the marketplace in central Cambridge, England. Operating as a marketplace since Saxon times, a daily outdoor market with stalls continues to run there.
The market square commands a central location in Cambridge. It is connected via the following streets (clockwise from the north):
Rose Crescent (pedestrianised), north towards Trinity Street
Market Street. east towards Sidney Street
Petty Cury (pedestrianised), east towards the junction of Sidney Street and St Andrew's Street
Guildhall Street, south towards Guildhall Place and Wheeler Street
Peas Hill (partially pedestrianised), south towards Wheeler Street and Bene't Street
St Mary's Passage (pedestrianised), west towards King's Parade
St Mary's Street, west also towards King's Parade
On the west side of Market Hill is Great St Mary's, the Cambridge University Church, with its tower on King's Parade. On the south side of the Market Square is the Cambridge Guildhall, built in the 1930s. To the southeast are the Grand Arcade and Lion Yard, two shopping centres. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Hill,_Camb...

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.

References

Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.

1660

1661

1667

  • Oct

1668