Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
[An annotation of vincent's, re-posted from the Whitefriars Stairs page]
A little history of White friars.http://www.whitefriars.org/a2-information/histo...
[An annotation of wisteria53's, re-posted from the Whitefriars Stairs page]
More on the history of the Whitefriars area (the law firm now on this site refers to their main building fronting Fleet Street as
There is a decorative tiled wall on what was once Whitefriars Street ("White Fryers" on the map below - near the circled number 1), with an overview of printing/press local history. This is still a public right of way between two joined up modern buildings (which front onto Fleet Street and Temple Street) and worth having a look at if you're in the area.
The tiled alleyway mentioned above runs off Bouverie Street, which isn't on the old map:
Whitefriars, a precinct or liberty, between Fleet Street and the Thames, the Temple walls and Water Lane. Here was the White Friars' Church, called "Fratres Beatae Mariae de Monte Carmeli," first founded by Sir Richard Gray in 1241. Among the benefactors were King Edward I., who gave the ground; Hugh Courtenay, Earl of Devon, who rebuilt the church; and Robert Marshall, Bishop of Hereford, who built the choir, presbytery, and steeple. The church was surrendered at the Reformation, and in place thereof were "many fair houses built, lodgings for noblemen and others." The hall was used as the first Whitefriars Theatre (1609). The privileges of sanctuary, continued to this precinct after the Dissolution, were confirmed and enlarged in 1608 by royal charter. Fraudulent debtors, gamblers, prostitutes, and other outcasts of society made it a favourite retreat. Here they formed a community of their own, adopted the language of pickpockets, openly resisted the execution of every legal process, and extending their cant terms to the place they lived in, new-named their precinct by the wellknown appellation of Alsatia, after the province which formed a debateable land between Germany and France.---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map