This text was copied from Wikipedia on 26 November 2015 at 3:23AM.

Painter-Stainers Hall

The Worshipful Company of Painter-Stainers is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. An organisation of stainers, or painters of metals and wood, is known to have existed as early as 1268. A similar organisation of painters, who generally worked on cloth, existed as early as 1283. The two bodies merged in 1502; the new organisation was incorporated under a Royal Charter in 1581. Now, the Company is less of a trade association of painters, and more of a charitable company; it is also a supporter of various art schools and universities.

Eleven Liverymen have served the office of Lord Mayor since 1922.

The Company ranks twenty-eighth in the order of precedence of Livery Companies. The Company's motto is Amor Queat Obedientiam, Latin for Love Can Compel Obedience.

The livery company's hall is situated between Huggin Hill and Little Trinity Lane, in the ward of Queenhithe.

Distinguished members

Through the centuries the Company has included many distinguished artists including:

See also

External links

0 Annotations

Log in to post an annotation.

If you don't have an account, then register here.


Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.