The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
There were several glass manufacturers in this area, around where the Fleet River joined the Thames. For a while a Glass House Alley marked this spot, visible on this 18th century map, at the junction of Water Lane and White Fryers. The area, and many of its alleys, are now covered by an office block.
Glass House Alley, Whitefriars and Blackfriars, marked the site for some years: The Whitefriars Glass Works of Messrs. Powell and Sons are on the old site, now Temple Street.
This text comes from a footnote on a diary entry in the 1893 edition edited by Henry B. Wheatley.
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.