Glyn • Link
The Axe, in Axe Yard, just off King Street. For some years called "The Axe and Gate" (it being near to the Ceremonial Gate into Westminster: as shown on contemporary maps).
The Axe is referred to as a large brewhouse in a document dating from 1531. It is known to have been still in existence in 1677. Fludyer Street was built over Axe Yard in the 18th Century.