Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
Artington: Braboeuf Manor and Gardens
Braboeuf Manor, formerly part of the Manor of Artington and the Manor of Godalming, was the property of the same family for over 700 years, a rare occurrence. The first mention of the manor is c.900 AD, when the manor was a possession of King Alfred the Great. In 1171, the Crown granted the Manor to Master David of London for his services as envoy to the Pope in Rome in the negotiations that followed the murder of Thomas Beckett, Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1559, the Manor was held by Agnes, daughter of Joan and Robert Kemp, who married John Wight of London. The Manor remained in the the hands of the Wight family from 1559 to 1914. Samuel Pepys called on his uncle and aunt, the Wights, on August 8th 1668. The manor was purchased by The College of Law in 1964, which still own it today. http://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/themes/p...
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.