The 17th century location of the school on the map is approximate.
The 17th century location of the school on the map is approximate.
This text was copied from Wikipedia on 31 August 2015 at 3:24PM.
|Motto||"Alle May God Amende" (1423)|
|Type||Academy Grammar School|
|Chair of Governors||Katrine Brown|
|Founder||King Edward VI (by royal charter)|
|DfE URN||137344 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Colours||Black and Red|
The Royal Latin School is a co-educational grammar school in Buckingham, England, with one of the most distinguished histories as a grammar school in the country. It has continually existed for almost six hundred years; receiving a Royal Charter in this time and moving premises three times. In September 2011 the school became an Academy. It takes children from the age of 11 through to the age of 18 and has over 1260 pupils, including a sixth form of 390 pupils. It maintains a staff of just over 160. In September 2003 the school was designated by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) as a specialist school in science. It was successfully redesignated in 2007 and achieved a second specialism as a training school.
Since the county's boundary adjustments of 1974 placed Eton College in Berkshire, the Royal Latin School claims the distinction of being the sole pre-Reformation grammar school in the county. The Royal Latin School was graded as outstanding in the 2009 report by Ofsted.
Each pupil, upon entrance, is placed into one of six houses, named after founders of the school at various stages in its history. The six houses are:
|Barton||Involved in founding schools both in the Chantry Chapel and in 1468, a grammar school in Thornton. These were combined to form the Royal Latin School during the 16th century.|
|Denton||Although Isobel Denton was mistakenly claimed to have founded the school during the sixteenth century, in the late 17th century Alexander Denton rebuilt the master's house following a destructive fire.|
|Newton||Gabriel Newton founded Green Coat Schools throughout England including in Buckingham. He provided an annual endowment of £26 which was transferred to the Royal Latin school in 1904.|
|Ruding||John Ruding was awarded the title of Archdeacon of Lincoln and Prebendary of Sutton upon Buckingham in 1471 and was therefore responsible for funding the upkeep of all church owned buildings including that which subsequently housed the Royal Latin School.|
|Stratton||Stratton left support for the Buckingham Chantry Chapel to support his soul in purgatory when he died in 1268. The chantry priest he funded, later started the school at Buckingham.|
|Verney||As the school grew during the early 20th century it was forced to move from the Chantry Chapel to a new purpose built site on Chandos road (now the site of Grenville Combined School), a move made possible by the work of Lady Verney.|
Years seven to eleven: School blazer, black trousers, black skirt for girls, black socks/tights, white regulation shirt, school tie (red, black and house colour) and black shoes. A black v-neck pullover may be worn.
Sixth Form: Matching dark suits with a jacket for girls and shirt and tie for boys.
Prefects are chosen from the members of the Sixth Form lower sixth during the first half of the Autumn term. House Captains are chosen after selections for Head and Deputy Head Girl and Boy have been made, and this is usually done by the candidates making speeches in front of their Houses, and the House voting on the two best candidates. This is open to any lower sixth former in the designated House and not just Prefects.
Every year, two male and two female members of the upper sixth are made Head Boy, Deputy Head Boy, Head Girl and Deputy Head Girl respectively. All Lower sixth can self-nominate themselves for these positions and short-listing is done by voting on those students who have chosen to sign up, with staff having three votes, and each student in the lower sixth having one vote, for male and female categories. Interviews with the candidates decide the final results, with the Headmaster having the final say. The positions are usually announced during March.
The school has played a significant role in the town of Buckingham, it being its most prominent school, since its earliest recorded reference in 1423, although it is thought that the school may date from the 13th century, possibly 1268.
Although Buckingham's citizens supported Catherine of Aragon and her daughter Mary Tudor, and were opposed to the Reformation, the Chantry Chapel in which the Royal Latin School was based, rather than being destroyed by Edward VI (as many similar establishments were) was instead converted into the Royal Latin School. King Edward VI granted a charter for the school, for 30-40 pupils, in 1548 with an endowment of £10 and with 12 trustees.
The Chantry Chapel remained the home of the Royal Latin School until 1907 when Buckinghamshire County Council provided major new buildings for the school in Chandos road, now the site of Grenville School and did so again in 1963, when the school moved to Brookfield House, formerly The Mount. Numerous extensions in 1963 were opened by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, with further extensions being gradually added over the next few decades. The warm brown brickwork of the 1963 extensions complements the stone built structure of the earlier buildings, the whole being enhanced by its parkland setting on the outskirts of Buckingham. Brookfield House and its grounds have been expanded over recent years to accommodate the growing size of the school and the fact that many of the older buildings, given the larger number of students, were becoming inadequate for use on such a large scale.
In 2006, the U15 rugby side made school history by becoming the first side from the Royal Latin to reach the semi-finals of the Daily Mail Vase, the English schools' annual rugby union cup competition. The U15s surpassed this record in 2013 reaching the final at Twickenham Stadium, where they beat Felsted School 19-13 to win the vase.
Brookfield House - Formerly the boys' boarding house. A former hunting lodge, once frequented by the Prince of Wales, that houses the school offices and reception, the school library, conference room, art department, music department and some science and drama laboratories and rooms.
Rotherfield House - Formerly the girls' boarding house. A lodge that houses the Sixth Form classrooms, common room, etc., in addition to the school lecture theatre, school archives, a computer suite and alumni rooms and offices.
Main Block - Built in 1963 by Fred Pooley CBE, this houses the school hall, old gymnasium, stage (both indoor and outdoor) and drama department, student reception, school offices, English department, humanities department and the dining room.
Technology Block - Also built in 1963, by the same architect, this houses the technology department, including cooking rooms, wood and metal workshops and classrooms.
Science Block - This houses the majority of the science department, including chemistry, biology, physics and astronomy. Built in 1963.
New Block - This building, built in 2001, houses the mathematics department, the languages department, the economics and business studies department and some science laboratories.
Sports Hall - Built in 2003 on the site of the headmaster's garden outside Brookfield House, this houses the PE department who also use the old gym.
Discovery Centre - A 12 classroom building dedicated to the sciences, completed in 2015, as part one of the 600 campaign.
The school regularly uses the church of St Peter and St Paul's in Buckingham for its annual carol service and Founder's Day service, which is held on the feast day of St John, the patron saint of the school. The church is also used for various concerts throughout the year.
The Chantry Chapel, the school's former chapel, is now owned by the National Trust and is too small to accommodate the entire school, thus necessitating the transferral of all school religious ceremonies from here to the parish church.
|Dates of office||Name||Date||Name|
|1524–1553||T. Hawkins (Chantry priest 1524)||1785–1830||William Eyre|
|1553–1569||Henry Webster||1830–1855||Edward Britten|
|1574–1580||Alexander Sheppard||1855–1858||Thomas Laugharne|
|1580–1592||Thomas Potter||1858–1861||Vacant post|
|1592–1603||James Smith||1861–1869||Thomas Owain Jones|
|1603–1609||Robert Tomlyns||1869–1871||Louis Borissow (son of Christian Ignatius Borissow)|
|1609–1625||Richard Earle||1871–1891||Thomas Cockram|
|1625–1632||Richard Home||1891–1895||Robert C. MacCulloch|
|1633–1638||Thomas Dutton||1895–1896||Thomas Cockram|
|1638–1660||Edward Unmant||1896–1908||Walter Matthew Cox|
|1660–1664||Thomas Stephens||1908–1931||William Fuller|
|1664–1665||William Warters||1931–1935||Maurice Walton Thomas|
|1665–1682||Roger Griffiths (father of Mary Pix)||1936–1939||Stanley Arthur Dyment|
|1682–1684||Thomas Dalby||1939–1941||Henry Bert Toft|
|1685–1690||Thomas Yeomans||1941-1941||Donald E. Morgan|
|1690–1691||Mark Noble||1942–1945||Charles Foster|
|1691–1696||Robert Styles||1945–1948||Henry Bert Toft|
|1709–1715||Samuel Foster||1948–1979||George K. Embleton (husband of Edna, MBE, Chairman of Aylesbury Vale District Council)|
|1715–1723||Richard Cardwell||1979–1992||Peter Luff|
|1723–1763||William Halstead||1992–2005||Cecilia Galloway|
|1763–1764||Vacant post||2006–2009||A. Robert Cooper|
|1764–1785||James Eyre||2010-date||David Hudson|
Chart showing the number of references in each month of the diary’s entries.