Daily entries from the 17th century London diary
The overlays that highlight 17th century London features are approximate and derived from:
Bankside (The), SOUTHWARK, comprehends that portion of ground on the river-bank between "Bank-end" by Barclay's brewery, and "Bank-end" by the Castle or Falcon, near Blackfriars Bridge. These appear in the Token-books of about 1600 respectively as the "hether end of the Bank" east and "Bancke-ende" west. Bankside was of old the chief seat of vice and dissipation in London, and contained the Stews, Bear Gardens, and Playhouses.
The playhouses and bear gardens were nearly all put down in the time of the Commonwealth, one or two surviving to the time of Charles II. or a little later, until the sports were removed to Hockley in the Hole.
Afterwards the Bankside was chiefly occupied by gardens, riverside public-houses, and breweries, by founders, glassmakers, and largely by dyers.---London, Past and Present. H.B. Wheatley, 1891.
The east end is shown at bottom here on the Thames as SIDE; THE BANK can be seen by shifting West.http://www.motco.com/map/81002/SeriesSearchPlat...
Log in to post an annotation.
If you don't have an account, then register here.
See all places in this category on a map