This text was copied from Wikipedia on 14 January 2017 at 3:22AM.
Pudding Lane in 2008
|South end||Pedestrianised to Lower Thames Street|
|Known for||Origin of the Great Fire of London|
Pudding Lane is a minor street in London widely known for being the location of Thomas Farriner's bakery where the Great Fire of London started in 1666. It is located off Eastcheap, near London Bridge and the Monument, in the historic City of London.
The site of Farriner's bakery on Pudding Lane is now occupied by a building called Faryners House. A plaque on the wall of the building, presented by the Company of Bakers in 1986, commemorates the fire.
According to the chronicler John Stow, it is named after the "pudding" (a medieval word for offal) which would fall from the carts coming down the lane from the butchers in Eastcheap as they headed for the waste barges on the River Thames. In Stow's words, "the Butchers of Eastcheape have their skalding House for Hog there, and their puddings with other filth of Beasts, are voided down that way to their dung boats on the Thames." The original name of the lane was "Offal Pudding Lane".
Pudding Lane was one of the world's first one-way streets. An order restricting cart traffic to one-way travel on that and 16 other lanes around Thames Street was issued in 1617, an idea not copied for over 180 years until Albemarle Street became a one-way street in 1800.
- Billinsgate warde, from A Survey of London, by John Stow. Reprinted from the text of 1603. original spelling: "... commonly called Pudding Lane, because the Butchers of Eastcheape haue their skalding House for Hogges there, and their puddinges with other filth of Beastes, are voided downe that way to theyr dung boates on the Thames."
|This London road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|